U-M at 2019 IPE Conferences
News you can use about our presentations, hashtags, and more….
University of Michigan faculty and the Center for IPE had strong representation at the three major IPE conferences in August, September, and October of 2019. Some examples:
Collaborating Across Borders VII
Read more about Frank Ascione’s national award and more from the major North American conference, Collaborating Across Borders VII October 20-23, 2019, in Indianapolis. Hashtag is #CABVII. U-M presentations included:
U-M IPE 101/Foundations Task Force Team Posters and Presentations:
- Faculty Implementation of a Large-Scale Foundational IPE Experience: Roundtable discussion led by Mark Fitzgerald of U-M School of Dentistry and colleagues.
- Faculty Perceptions of Interprofessional Education Experience: A Qualitative Analysis of “IPE in Action” Event Education: Oral presentation led by Ghaidaa Najjar, with Olivia Anderson, Tazin Daniels, Karen Farris, Melissa Gross, Debra Mattison, Vani Patterson, Laura Smith, Peggy Ann Ursuy, and Mark Fitzgerald for U-M Center for IPE.
- A One-Two Punch: Introducing Students to IPE with an Online Module Followed by a Face-to-Face Event: Oral presentation led by Melissa Gross of U-M School of Kinesiology, with Olivia Anderson, Tazin Daniels, Karen Farris, Mark Fitzgerald, Mengyuan Gao, Debra Mattison, Laurel Moore, Ghaidaa Najjar, Vani Patterson, Peggy Ann Ursuy, and Laura Smith for U-M Center for IPE.
- From a Classroom to an Arena: Lessons Learned from a Large Scale Foundational IPE Event: Oral presentation led by Laura Smith of UM-Flint College of Health Sciences, with Debra Mattison, Olivia Anderson, Tazin Daniels, Karen Farris, Mark Fitzgerald, Sophie (Mengyuan) Gao, Laurel Moore, Ghiadaa Najjar, Vani Patterson, Peggy Ann Ursuy, and Melissa Gross for U-M Center for IPE.
Diagnosis: A Team Sport: Breakout presentation by Michelle Aebersold of U-M School of Nursing and colleagues from St. Louis College of Pharmacy, and the Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine.
Nursing and Physical Therapy Students Learn the Complexities of End-of-Life Issues Using an Interprofessional Education Simulation: Oral presentation by Denise Campbell, Leslie Smith, and Suzanne Trojanowski, UM-Flint.Using a Simulation-Enhanced Interprofessional Education (Sim-IPE) Activity to Reduce Cognitive Bias in Healthcare: Oral presentation by Leslie Smith, Carman Turkelson, and Julie Hollenbeck, UM-Flint.IPE: What to Teach: Oral Presentation by Amy Yorke and Kimberly Beran-Shepler, UM-Flint College of Health Sciences.
Promoting Student Leadership in Interprofessional Education (IPE) Development with the Creation of a Student Advisory Committee (SAC): Breakout presentation by Salomeh Salari, Stuart Hammond, Rebecca Copeland, Corey Brutman, and Vani Patterson for U-M Center for IPE.
IPE and IPP Big 10 Collaboration: The Time Is Right: Workshop by Karen Farris, Laura Smith, Mark Fitzgerald, Melissa Gross, and Ghaidaa Najjar for U-M Center for IPE, with Big 10 colleagues Heather Brennan Congdon, Brittany Daulton, Mary Keehn, Brian Sick, and Zach Weber.
Midwest Interprofessional Practice, Education, and Research Center (MIPERC)
Read about the U-M Foundations Experience Team winning the Demonstration Model Award in September 2019 at the MIPERC conference! U-M presentations at MIPERC included:
- Interprofessional Education Longitudinal Survey: A Tool Used to Assess Curricular Change, presented by Burgunda Sweet of U-M College of Pharmacy, Daniel Fischer of U-M School of Social Work and Angela Beck of U-M School of Public Health.
- Preparing Professionals for IPC: Interprofessional Collaborative Care Between Dental and Pharmacy Students in a Hospital Setting, presented by Mark Fitzgerald of U-M School of Dentistry.
- Embedding Foundational Interprofessional Educational Initiatives in Health Professions Education, presented by Peggy Ann Ursuy of U-M School of Nursing, Mark Fitzgerald of U-M School of Dentistry, and Vani Patterson of U-M Center for IPE.
- Integrating Interprofessional Education into a First-Year Undergraduate Pre-Health Learning Community, presented by Adam Eickmeyer of U-M College of Learning, Science, and Arts (LSA).
- Learning to Communicate: A Case Study in Collaborating Across Professions and Universities to Improve Patient Care, poster presentation by Danielle Schneider, Kelsey Fischer, Katie A. Strong, and Amy Yorke, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Central Michigan University & Department of Physical Therapy, University of Michigan-Flint.
In August in the 2019 NEXUS Summit brought together IPE champions Minneapolis – hashtag #NEXUSSummit2019. Said presenter Megan Eagle of U-M School of Nursing: “One theme of the conference was how important it is to keep the patient at the center of our IPE work. I was really proud to be able to share how our student leadership focus on the needs of our patients is what motivates the students to continually push the faculty to overcome administrative barriers to interprofessional clinical engagement. We had great conversations from colleagues at other institutions about how to maximize the impact of ‘teachable moments’ with interprofessional student teams.” The U-M presentations included:
Please send your updates for this web page to: IPEcenter@umich.edu