Michigan Center for IPE Awards for Innovation and Excellence
- Student Award for IPE Innovation and Excellence: Awarded to an individual and/or team of students based on their development of innovative curriculum, organizational change, IPE practice opportunities, and/or scholarship in the realm of interprofessional education.
- Faculty/Staff Award for IPE Innovation and Excellence: Awarded to an individual and/or team based on their development of innovative curriculum, organizational change, IPE or team-based collaborative practice opportunities, and/or scholarship in the realm of interprofessional education.
These awards honor students, faculty and staff who have demonstrated excellence in teaching, scholarship, and/or leadership with regard to implementing and/or developing innovative, effective, and sustainable interprofessional education (IPE) or interprofessional practice (IPP) across the University of Michigan health science schools.
All faculty, students, and staff in University of Michigan health science schools and colleges (Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint campuses) are eligible for nomination by colleagues and collaborators. Self-nominations will also be accepted.
- Nominee Information (full name, title, school, department, email, phone).
- Nominator Information (full name, title, school, department, email, phone, nominator’s relationship/interactions with nominee).
- Type of award being nominated for (student, faculty/staff; individual or team within each category).
- Letter of nomination (upload as a pdf; 1 page max). Provide specific examples demonstrating how the nominee(s) meet the criteria of the award.
- Letters of support from an individual(s) who can speak to the nominee’s qualifications for the award (2 letters max; 500 words or less; May be from the chair, program director, associate dean or dean, community partner, learner, or other).
- Supporting examples (optional): Publications, IPE syllabi/examples of IPE teaching tools, etc.
The deadline for nominations is March 6, 2023 at 11:59 AM EST.
Awards presented at HPE day on April 4, 2023.
Awardees will receive the following: Faculty award of $1,000, student award of $500 (if the winner is a team, the award will be split accordingly), and short presentation at HPE Day.
Criteria for Nomination:
A committee with representation from faculty, administrators, and students will evaluate the qualifications of the nominees for evidence of excellence in IPE. Nominees should demonstrate vision and commitment to advancing interprofessional education and/or practice at U-M and exhibit the core competencies of interprofessional education as identified by the University of Michigan Center for Interprofessional Education. The following supporting evidence should be provided:
1. Demonstrated excellence in interprofessional education, including but not limited to:
- Developing and/or implementing IPE curriculum or co-curricular activities, using innovative IPE learning experiences to enhance collaborative student learning
- Developing and/or implementing innovative IPE assessment strategies
- Developing and/or implementing innovative IPE fieldwork/community partnerships
2. Demonstrated evidence that the interprofessional education initiative has made a positive impact on student learning and is sustainable. This could include but is not limited to:
- Developing organizational and/or institutional structures to support the development/implementation/collaboration of IPE
- Developing faculty training/mentorship programs that enhance IPE
- Contributing to interprofessional education research and/or scholarship grounded in relevant literature
- Developing evidence-based practices in conceptualization and evaluation of the U-M IPE initiative.
3. Demonstrated evidence of leadership in interprofessional education or interprofessional care. This could include but is not limited to:
- Exhibiting core competencies of interprofessional education as identified by the University of Michigan Center for Interprofessional Education
- Demonstrating effective communication skills with learners, patients and colleagues
- Promoting interprofessional education and inspiring others to lead
- Demonstrating leadership in providing interprofessional education to/with healthcare learners
- Promoting interprofessional care in the local or regional community
- Serving as an exemplary role model for those interested in interprofessional education and collaborative practice.
Feel free to contact the Michigan Center for Interprofessional Education at IPEcenter@umich.edu.