Michigan Center for IPE Awards for Innovation and Excellence
- WATCH FOR 2nd-ANNUAL CALL FOR NOMINATIONS IN EARLY 2020
- Learn About the Inaugural Awardees!
Student Award for IPE Innovation and Excellence: $500 awarded to an individual and/or team of students based on their involvement in the development of innovative curriculum, organizational change, IPE practice opportunities, and/or scholarship in the realm of interprofessional education.
Faculty Award for IPE Innovation and Excellence: $1,000 awarded to an individual and/or team of faculty based on their development of innovative curriculum, organizational change, IPE practice opportunities, and/or scholarship in the realm of interprofessional education.
These awards honor students and faculty who have demonstrated excellence in teaching, scholarship, and/or leadership with regard to implementing and/or developing innovative, effective, and sustainable interprofessional education (IPE) or interprofessional practice (IPP) across the University of Michigan health science schools.
All faculty, staff, and students in University of Michigan health science schools and colleges (Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint campuses) are eligible to nominate colleagues and collaborators for this award. Self-nominations will also be accepted. (You can peruse a preview PDF before using the actual form to submit nominations.)
Criteria for Nomination:
A committee with representation from faculty, administrators, and students will evaluate the qualifications of the nominees for evidence of excellence in IPE. Nominees should demonstrate vision and commitment to advancing interprofessional education and/or practice at U-M and exhibit the core competencies of interprofessional education as identified by the University of Michigan Center for Interprofessional Education. The following supporting evidence should be provided:
1. Demonstrated excellence in interprofessional education, including but not limited to:
- Developing and/or implementing IPE curriculum
- Developing and/or implementing innovative IPE teaching strategies or learning experiences to enhance collaborative student learning
- Developing and/or implementing innovative IPE assessment strategies
- Developing and/or implementing innovative IPE fieldwork/community partnerships
2. Demonstrated evidence that the interprofessional education initiative has made a positive impact on student learning and is sustainable. This could include but is not limited to:
- Developing organizational and/or institutional structures to support the development/implementation/collaboration of IPE
- Developing faculty training/mentorship programs that enhance IPE
- Contributing to interprofessional education research and/or scholarship grounded in the relevant literature
- Developing evidence-based practices in the conceptualization and evaluation of the U-M IPE initiative.
3. Demonstrated evidence of leadership in interprofessional education or interprofessional care. This could include but is not limited to:
- Exhibiting core competencies of interprofessional education as identified by the University of Michigan Center for Interprofessional Education
- Demonstrating effective communication skills with learners, patients and colleagues
- Promoting interprofessional education and inspiring others to lead
- Demonstrating leadership in providing interprofessional education to healthcare learners
- Promoting interprofessional care in the local or regional community
- Serving as an exemplary role model for those interested in interprofessional education and collaborative. practice.
- The deadline for 2nd-annual awards nominations TBA for early 2019.
- Awards will be presented on April 14, 2020, at Health Professions Education Day.
Awardees will receive the following: Faculty award of $1,000, student award of $500 (if the winner is a team, the award will be split accordingly); short presentation at HPE Day; invitation to IPE community lunch at HPE Day; and a letter to the awardees’ dean from the Michigan Center for IPE.
Feel free to contact the Michigan Center for Interprofessional Education at IPEcenter@umich.edu